Originally called “Mai Tai Joe”, this poor guy looks like he had a bit too much fun at last night’s luau.
"Made with both brandy and gin (and not a lick of rum), this drink dates from tiki’s Golden Era, says Martin Cate, proprietor of San Francisco's Smugger's Cover: “Created at the Shepheard Hotel in Cairo circa 1942 by legendary globetrotting barman Joe Scialom, this was the drink that fortified Montgomery’s boys during the Second World War as they pushed back against Rommel in North Africa.” -- Punch Drink.
To make a Suffering Bastard cocktail:
- 30ml London Dry Gin
- 30ml Brandy
- 15ml lime juice
- 7.5ml Jack Rudy Demerara Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 20ml Pickett's Hot & Spicy Ginger Syrup
- 100ml Soda Water
Garnish: mint sprig and swizzle stick.
- Add the Picket's Ginger Syrup & Soda Water to a tall glass or Tiki Mug.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with cracked or cubed ice. Shake and strain the contents into the glass.
- Gently fill with cubed or cracked ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a swizzle stick.